Office of Equal Employment Opportunity - How to File a Complaint
|Steps in Procedures||Time Line|
- Procedure covers employees and applicants for positions in the Skilled, Professional and Management Services, or comparable positions.
- Employees in the State Personnel Management System may elect to pursue an allegation of employment discrimination under either the above complaint procedure or the grievance procedure in SPP Title 12, but not both.
- Days refer to calendar days.
- A complainant may be represented during the complaint process by any person the complainant chooses.
Source: State Personnel & Pensions Article, Title 5, Subtitle 2
Any employee or applicant for employment who believes that he or she has experienced discrimination has a right to file a formal complaint with the federal or State agency listed below. A person does not give up this right when he or she files a complaint with the Department’s Office of Equal Employment Opportunity.
The following federal and State agencies enforce laws against discrimination:
Maryland Commission on Civil Rights (http://mccr.maryland.gov/)
6 St. Paul Street, 9th Floor
Baltimore, Maryland 21202
Phone: (410) 767-8600
United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
31 Hopkins Plaza, Suite1432
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Statutory time periods for the timely filing of charges of discrimination (Measure from the occurrence of a discriminatory action):
- Department’s Office of Equal Opportunity or EO Designee – within 30 days after 1st knowing or reasonably knowing (SPPA§ 5-211 (b))
- Maryland Commission on Civil Rights – Six months - (State Government Article Title 20, Annotated Code of Maryland).
- United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission – 300 days-unless a proceeding involving same acts is instituted first before the Maryland Commission on Civil Rights.
Confidentiality – Information obtained as part of an investigation conducted under this SPPA § 5-214 is confidential within the meaning of Title 10, Subtitle 6 of the State Government Article.