COMPENSATION, BENEFITS & INCENTIVES
Correctional Officer Recruitment
Becoming a correctional officer with the Maryland Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services is an honorable profession. Thank you for your consideration!
The starting salary for a correction officer, as of April 1, 2019, is $42,013. This amount will increase consistent with the governor’s announcement regarding salary increases for State employees effective July 1st, 2019.
Newly hired correctional officers receive $2000 after successfully concluding their training at the academy and $3000 after the successful completion of their probationary period.
- Paid Time Off (Leave)
- Annual Leave: Starts accruing at 10 days per year.
- Sick Leave: Accrues at 15 days per year
- Personal Days: Accrues 48 hours at the beginning of the year
- State Holidays: Entitled to 11 days (12 days during election years)
- Parental Leave
- Compensatory Time
- Leave Bank
- Health BenefitsYou and your family may benefit from our medical, prescription, dental and vision coverage. You also may be eligible for life, accidental death and dismemberment insurance plans at low group rates.
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Health Spending Account
- Dependent Care Spending Account
- Student Loan Repayment/Forgiveness Programs
- Correctional Officers’ Retirement System
- Mandatory contribution of 5%
- Vests after 10 years
- Normal service retirement after 20 years of service.
The Department of Public Safety and Correctional Services is proud of the men and women who have dedicated themselves to keep our communities safe. It’s a career and duty they do not take lightly.
We look forward to assisting you in your journey to become part of our team.